Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Day 1

Today, I woke up at 9:30am - I find it pretty hard to stay asleep after 9am or to stay awake past midnight, and I actually really enjoy the consistency of my schedule. I'm hoping to train in the mornings (my gym has 10am sessions on weekdays), but today I was planning on getting lunch with another unemployed friend A., so I signed up for an evening training session.

I drank some coffee and had a quick chat with my friend S. while she walked her dog before heading to the dentist for a cleaning. My teeth were looking good - thank you, Sonicare! I received a lot of teasing for purchasing an electric toothbrush with the proceeds from my first ESPP, but this purchase seems to have really paid off.

A. and I weren't able to find a restaurant through the Dine In Brooklyn site that was open for lunch, so I ate at home, responded to some e-mails, and watched some of The Office. In the afternoon, I had another doctor's appointment, worked on the Halloween costumes I'm making for myself and my boyfriend's roommate, E., and cleaned the kitchen in my apartment.

My 7pm training session went well - I'm shocked at how much better I've been able to focus on my lifts since my last real day of work on Monday. The head coach of the powerlifting team that I compete with tells me that I'm particularly bad at leaving my work at work, and I definitely agree - when I have a problem to solve, I can't stop thinking about it!

Today's lesson is about benefits to use up before the end of the month. I picked a terrible time to leave my job, as your health insurance is generally only paid through the end of the calendar month and no company wants to keep paying for you after you're gone!

Doctors you should probably visit before your health insurance expires

  1. The dentist. Seriously, when was the last time you had a cleaning? If you're smart, you'll visit the dentist first so that you can schedule any fillings etc. done before the end of the month as well.
  2. Your GP - even healthy adults need physicals.
  3. For ladies, the gynecologist.
  4. The eye doctor - maybe you can use your benefits to buy contacts or glasses before your discounts expire, too!
  5. A massage therapist. Even if your insurance doesn't cover massages, you can use your HSA money, and you've definitely had a rough few weeks.
Fortunately, I'm only 25, so I won't need to sign up for the shockingly-expensive COBRA plan (or get healthcare through the exchange) as I am still a dependent on my parents' plan. Thanks, Obama!

Tomorrow, I'm getting back into the interview game, but today it was nice to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment